Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Nightmares

I have a recurring nightmare. It always involves one of my teeth cracking and falling out in bits. In my dream, I have that sort of large gritty sensation from it in my mouth, like when you've gotten too much plaque build-up or (if you ever had braces) when they're scraping the remains of cement off your teeth. It's always realistic enough that when I finally managed to wake myself up, I end up checking all my teeth to make sure they're still there, after which I like, heart-pounding, in bed waiting to calm down enough to go back to sleep.

Most times in my nightmare, it happens when I'm chewing gum and it sticks to my teeth, and they come out in my hands as I try to pull the gum out. Last night's dream was a little different. I was in a parking lot, like the one were the Caldor's used to be in Crosstown Plaza, with a group of girls, and suddenly I felt my tooth crack for no reason, my right incisor, and could feel the pieces and the blood floating in my mouth. I spit into my hand, little bits of hard white with the blood, and reached into my mouth to pull out the remainder of my tooth, its root rotted to nothingness, from the top of my mouth and just stood looking at the pieces in my hand, tongue probing the empty spot in my gums. Then I woke up. I could still taste the blood in my mouth.

10 comments:

rptrcub said...

I had the same dream last night! I'm freaked out. Seriously. And it was painful, too.

Owen Kellogg said...

Wait. Caldor? Crosstown Plaza?

Schenectady?

Megan said...

@Owen: Yeah, I grew up in Scotia.

@Rptrcub: Get out of my dreams, you sick fuck. :)

langoki said...

I have this dream all the time. My mother says it means that you're ready for change. (But she's a 'Barnes&Noble Wiccan' so I'm not sure how seriously I take it.)

rptrcub said...

Ohhh, Megs, I hope you didn't have a dream about having an argument with Ganesh last night, because that would be tooooo weird ;)

JNOV said...

I think I have it cuz I grind my teeth -- I pick pieces a molar out of my mouth in my dreams.

Cynica said...

Share this with your therapist! That should perk up her interest.

Endy said...

When I had my wisdom teeth taken out, I told the dentist that i wanted to see the teeth after, so that I could know what all the fuss was about. At first, the staff were evasive in their refusals, but finally they explained that they were going to have to break up the teeth to get them out. ... I take really good care of the rest of my teeth now.

Joanna said...

I've always read that dreams about teeth have to do with worries about money. I brought this up in a psych class back in the day and some other girl in class said that teeth dreams had to do with masturbation. Your choice.

Anonymous said...

I've read a lot about dream "meanings" as a little personal hobby and it seems that dreaming your teeth are falling out or breaking is very common (like being naked in public, falling, flying, and being in the middle of a tornado/hurricane). All the dream psychologists I respect the most think that teeth-falling-out dreams represent a fear of aging -- though all say that dreams are subject to personal context. So, ask yourself seriously if you're worried about getting old; if "yes," do some work on that and then see if it ends or morphs the teeth dreams.