Sunday, December 21, 2008

Christmas clean-up

So, it's blizzarding here in upstate New York, which causes my parents to bicker, my sister to work and me to get ordered upstairs to clean out my closet (a situation made more necessary by the carload of staff I brought home to store). I started with old cassettes, during which I gritted my teeth and decided to download necessary songs off of iTunes. Not necessary: Debbie Gibson, Whitney's first album, Timmy T or Patty Smyth and Don Henley. Sue me, I was like 14.

Things that were hilariously necessary:

"People Are Still Having Sex" by La Tour


"This Is Ponderous" by 2 NU


God, I fucking love that song. So my taste in music in high school wasn't utter, utter shit. Ok, it was, but that song's good.

Is it too early to start drinking? Cleaning goes better with booze.

4 comments:

rptrcub said...

I still have some regrettable CDs and cassettes from back in the day myself. Ace of Base, for example. And no, honey, it's never too early to start drinking!

Spencer Ackerman said...

I remember that Timmy T shit. That came out when I was 10. When I was 11 and asked out a girl in my junior high to a dance I accompanied my advances with some strategically-chosen cassingles. One of them was definitely "More Than Words" by Extreme.

wobblie said...

Spencer wins the "spray my keyboard with coffee" prize for bringing up "More Than Words." That was definitely the guitar-playing rocker dude ballad of choice for wooing the ladies at my East Tennessee high school.

The deal would then be cinched by rocking out "Cherry Pie."

Megan said...

I am ashamed to admit, Spencer, you are totally right that the tapes I found were cassingles. And that I didn't mention "More Thank Words" because I figured Timmy T and Patty Smyth were less embarrassing.

In the 9th grade, my first boyfriend accompanied the note that he used to as me to be his girlfriend with the entire cassette of Queensryche "Empire."