Saturday, December 6, 2008

Reclamation

This is my first denim skirt in probably 20 years that my awesome cousin Stacey convinced me to buy in the summer of 2006. I think I might have worn it for the first time in January in my post-Wonkette-firing binge at Sonoma. In March, I wore it out with friends for a night of boozing, after which I came back (alone) to my apartment and was sexually assaulted. The cops collected it as evidence and there it sat until I got "justice."

Recently, it was returned to me. I washed it just before Thanksgiving.

Tonight, I am wearing it out. I'm taking the pieces of me back, one at a time, metaphorically and otherwise. This is piece two. I wore the bra I was wearing that night last weekend, but I wasn't going to take a picture of that and post it on the Internet.

10 comments:

Cynica said...

Good for you.

Shannon said...

Good for you. It's not the skirt's fault for looking good, or your fault for looking good in the skirt. It's only one person's fault and I hope that, somehow -- karma, fate, the judgment of a higher power -- real justice is waiting for him.

But now, may luck and fate and God smile on you in your cute skirt.

Well-wisher said...

Megan, I think this post is heroic--both for your tenacity in wresting back control & for your incredible courage and generosity in writing about it publicly, so that others might know they can too. Thanks, from all of us.

wobblie said...

It's good to see you're back on the horse, Megan, and rockin' the denim again!

Here's to hoping the karma on that skirt has changed and that it brings you what a cowgirl of your stature is due!

Nefarious Newt said...

I'll echo the sentiments already spoken here, and add: Rock on!!

Britni said...

Good for you! It takes so much strength and courage to do something like that. You are much stronger than I, for I probably would have thrown those things out to rid myself of the memories.

Hillary said...

Ditto on all the sentiments expresses here. Continue to reclaim you.

Jason said...

Congrats Megan! I wish you all the best...

SanFranLefty said...

Claim it back. It's yours and you own it, literally and figuratively speaking.

And it looks great with those boots.

gherkingirl said...

Hope you felt the million dollars you looked...!

I felt the same about a denim jacket I was wearing when I was attacked and everyone thought I was creepy. I feel better now!