Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I gotta ruin everything

My ex and I broke up in the summer of 2007, about 10 days before we were scheduled to attend a family wedding. We briefly debated not telling my family until after, but I said fuck it. Several dude friends offered to make the 7 hour one-way trek back home with me to spare me... something. I again said fuck it, and went on my own.

The day before the wedding, I went on a retail therapy mission with my fabulous cousin Stacey and my sister, and bought this ring and its matching (and vaguely pudendal) necklace. I wore it to the wedding -- where my mom had told everyone what happend to spare me questions at my request -- and when people asked me about it, I said, "This is my 'I don't need a man to buy me a rock' rock." Everyone laughed, and my $5 platic costume jewelry ring has been called that ever since.