Sunday, February 22, 2009

My work here is done

When I moved to the D.C. area in 1999, I settled in Arlington because it was easy to get to classes at Georgetown (yeah, I have an MSFS and I'm a blogger, let's not talk about it) and easy to get on Metro and because, unlike D.C. residents, Virginians get to vote. I cast my last ballot as a New Yorker in 2000, and Virginia and I made it official that December.

In 2001, I helped elect a Democratic Governor (Mark Warner) to replace an outgoing Republican Governor. In 2006, I helped elect another Democratic Governor and kick Republican George Allen's ass to the curb in favor of Democratic Senator Jim Webb. In 2008, I helped elect Mark Warner to the Senate and Barack Obama to the White House. My one electoral failing was that I never saw wife-beating, bribe-taking racist Democratic Congressman Jim Moran replaced by a Democrat I could be proud to vote for. But I did my part there, too. Some machines you can't fight, and the Arlington County Democratic one is apparently one of them.

But Virginia is now a decidedly blue state. So, my work here is done. Next week, I'm moving back to New York, where I'll (eventually, when I do the paperwork) be represented by Carolyn Maloney in the House, Kirsten Gillibrand and Chuck Schumer in the Senate, Michael Gianaris in the Assembly, and George Onorato in the State Senate. I'm even getting rid of my red loveseat before I go.

3 comments:

Cynica said...

Good luck in NY, Megan.

Scott Lemieux said...

Hmm, I'm a little nervous about your track record of change...;)

SanFranLefty said...

What, you don't want to move to Tennessee or Utah and try to turn those states blue? :)

Best of luck to you in NY.