Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Not that anyone cares about my comment system opinion

I always viewed comments in the "Classic View" after the last change-over and I scroll to the bottom to "Show All Comments" now, even when I'm not responding -- and anyone in my own threads will find me responding to grey comments especially when they're interesting. I don't even really notice the grey/black difference on my laptop.

I do love the fact that I don't have to go to Hortense or Anna to take out threadjackers and trolls, though. The first time I disemvowelled anyone, I enjoyed it.

2 comments:

Groovymarlin said...

I care about your opinion. Mine is: I think it sucks, and the gray font in particular is insulting in how hard it is to read. But I blame Gawker Media, not Jez. I think they (Gawker) wanted to cut down on the volume of comments on all their sites, and to be honest, it's working: I've stopped commenting, and I don't plan to start again. Why should I bother to research and write a thoughtful comment, just for it to be buried in light gray text on some subsequent page, after the fabulous "starred" commenters and "featured" comments? No thanks.

I do think the Jez editors are deluding themselves if they say "It's not a popularity contest." The only people who say that are the ones who are already popular.

Megan said...

Believe me, my experience with Denton is that the last thing he wants to do is cut down on comment volume -- hence why he and Anna asked me to try out liveblogging in the comments during the Sotomayor hearings last week.

And, as I said, on my computer, I can't see (maybe this is my eyes/screen) the difference between a grey and a black comment and, since I automatically click "show all" -- as, it seems, do all the other editors and most of the other commenters -- they all show up the same to me.

But do what you will.